I’ve seen this idea a hundred times before but usually it involved a wood plank you hang on your laundry room wall. I simply, do not have a laundry room. More like a laundry closet. No, smaller than a closet. Laundry… pantry? You get my point. I decided to take the idea and adapt it to what would fit my current (student apartment) lifestyle.
Let me start with the problem before we jump into the solution. Problem: Dryer eats your socks. No. Socks don’t even make it the dryer and are most likely under the bed or couch in the black hole you can’t reach. Maybe. Moving on….. You have a sock. Just one. It is quite possible the matching one just didn’t make it in that load, so you hang on to it. And your pile of solo sockies just seems to grow.
Solution: A place for your lost socks.
I started by preparing my scrapbook paper for the mod podging of the clothes pin (Clothes Pins Traditional Wood w/ Spring 50-Pack Wooden Clothespins). I’m sure there is a much simpler way of doing this, but this is MY blog so we’re doing this MY way 🙂I traced my clothes pin on the back side of the paper…. a couple times…. too many times. I figured I wanted to spell the words “Lost Socks” one letter for each pin, and one clothes pin for the middle as a spacer between words. That’s 10 clothes pins, 10 strips of paper needed.I made a last minute change. Instead of using Mod Podge, I opted to use Sargent Art Creative Craft Lamination Glue. Mainly because it was easier to grab in my bucket of craft supplies, but I really like the hardening effect it had on the paper. A glossy, hard finish. Proceed….
Once I let them dry (about 15 minutes), I did a second coat.
While that was going on, I was also preparing my peg of wood to be used. We had Rust-Oleum Multi-Color Texture spray paint from a project 2 years ago and decided to use it. Mainly because it was easier/faster than sitting down and painting the piece. I could spray and walk away. My kind of deal.
Originally, the plan was to get fancy and pull out my vinyl to do the lettering. Um… I got lazy. The brown sharpie was closer. I’m very disappointed in myself. I shouldn’t give in to my laziness so easily. Vinyl would have looked much better. And I can still do vinyl, just…. when I’m not so lazy 😉
I lettered my clothes pins, and using Superbonder 9001 clear high strength adhesive, attached them to my peg of wood.
That takes about 24 hours to dry, or at least to dry thoroughly. The next day, I grabbed a broken hanger (…okay, you caught me, I broke it on purpose for this project) and Superbonder 9001’nd the piece of wood to the hanger. I chose a hanger because of the shelving about our washer/dryer units. I knew a hanger would be easy to hang this project on. I was right. So right.